Appraising a vintage or antique pocket watch is something that should be left to an experienced, accredited appraiser. Watches vary in design, manufacturer and style. The professional pocket watch appraiser knows how to value these distinctions. The following is a list of criteria used by a professional appraiser in appraising a pocket watch:
- The value of the materials used in the case, dials, etc.
- The age of the watch determined by the expert and the marks on the watch.
- The accompanying verification including the original box, bill of sale, warranty, etc.
- The condition of the dial, crystal, case, movement and accessories, and whether it is in need of repair.
- The overall quality of the parts in the watch including the detail work, and the craftsmanship.
- The type of movement it has including the category, the mount, whether it has jewels or not, and if it’s in good condition.
- The watch case design, material and condition.
- The marks on the dial, case, and movement signifying the manufacturer.
- The type of hands and whether they are original to the watch.
- Whetherit is an open face without a cover or a hunter’s case covering the dial.
- The rarity of the watch and whether it is a limited edition or mass produced.
- Its historical value such as if it is tied to a famous time in history like a Railroad watch.
- Its special features like a built in calendar, moon phase, timer, or other.
Southwest Appraisal Specialists is a group made up of accredited appraisers with a variety of specializations including: antique furniture, books, coins, classic cars, dolls, guns, pocket watches, antique jewelry, contemporary, designer, and art jewelry, Native American jewelry, vintage jewelry, original art, art prints, sculptures, stamps, sterling silver, and writing instruments. Each appraiser has been tested and accredited by the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) or the International Society of Appraisers (ISA), and proven to be qualified to appraise the items listed as their specialty.
If you want an educated, accredited, and experienced appraiser to value your items, please call us at (915) 584-0022 or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.